Lithuania’s energy minister calls Belarus’ NPP threat to national security
<p> MINSK, Nov 3 - PrimePress. Energy Minister of Lithuania Žygimantas Vaičiūnas said, commenting on the start of operation of the Belarusian nuclear power plant (Astravyets District, Grodno Oblast), that that it poses a threat to national security of Lithuania. </p> <p> </p> <p> As previously reported, the Energy Ministry of Belarus said on November 3 that the first power unit of the NPP was connected to the national grid. Lithuanian transmission system operator Litgrid suspended electricity trade with Belarus on November 3 under Lithuania’s law on Measures against Threats Posed by Unsafe Nuclear Power Plants in Third Countries. </p> <p> </p> <p> According to Vaičiūnas, after Litgrid registered the start of electricity generation at the nuclear power plant, it blocked access of Belarusian electric energy to the country’s market via the Lithuanian-Belarusian power lines. </p> <p> </p> <p> The electric power systems of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia will actually be separated from Belarus and Russia in 2025 after synchronization with the grids of continental Europe. </p> <p> </p> <p> Lithuania has been objecting the construction of the Belarusian NPP near its border since the very inception of the project. The Lithuanian parliament calls the NPP a threat to national security of the country. </p> <p> </p> <p> Belarus’ first nuclear power plant in Ostrovets (a town in the Grodno Oblast also referred to as Astravyets) will have two units with a combined capacity of up to 2,400 megawatts. The AES-2006 Russian standard design of (generation 3+) was chosen for its construction. Rosatom’s division Atomstroyexport acts as the general contractor for the NPP construction. The Belarusian Nuclear Power Plant RUE is the project customer and the future operator of the NPP. The nuclear reactor of the first power unit was started in October 2020. According to the schedule, the first start of the first power unit is planned for November 7, 2020. The first power unit is expected to be put into commercial operation in the first quarter of 2021, the second power unit – in 2022. The first power unit of the NPP was connected to the national grid on November 3, 2020. End </p>
2020-11-04
Primepress
MINSK, Nov 3 - PrimePress. Energy Minister of Lithuania Žygimantas Vaičiūnas said, commenting on the start of operation of the Belarusian nuclear power plant (Astravyets District, Grodno Oblast), that that it poses a threat to national security of Lithuania.
As previously reported, the Energy Ministry of Belarus said on November 3 that the first power unit of the NPP was connected to the national grid. Lithuanian transmission system operator Litgrid suspended electricity trade with Belarus on November 3 under Lithuania’s law on Measures against Threats Posed by Unsafe Nuclear Power Plants in Third Countries.
According to Vaičiūnas, after Litgrid registered the start of electricity generation at the nuclear power plant, it blocked access of Belarusian electric energy to the country’s market via the Lithuanian-Belarusian power lines.
The electric power systems of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia will actually be separated from Belarus and Russia in 2025 after synchronization with the grids of continental Europe.
Lithuania has been objecting the construction of the Belarusian NPP near its border since the very inception of the project. The Lithuanian parliament calls the NPP a threat to national security of the country.
Belarus’ first nuclear power plant in Ostrovets (a town in the Grodno Oblast also referred to as Astravyets) will have two units with a combined capacity of up to 2,400 megawatts. The AES-2006 Russian standard design of (generation 3+) was chosen for its construction. Rosatom’s division Atomstroyexport acts as the general contractor for the NPP construction. The Belarusian Nuclear Power Plant RUE is the project customer and the future operator of the NPP. The nuclear reactor of the first power unit was started in October 2020. According to the schedule, the first start of the first power unit is planned for November 7, 2020. The first power unit is expected to be put into commercial operation in the first quarter of 2021, the second power unit – in 2022. The first power unit of the NPP was connected to the national grid on November 3, 2020. End